Nutrition Guidance for “Maintainers”
For any athlete who wishes to keep their body weight constant whilst exercising should attempt to match their nutritional intake with the energy expended. A realistic energy intake should be around 2500 – 4500 kcal/day for males and around 2300-3600 kcal/day for females depending on size and level of activity in a day. As a very rough calculation you should calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and then add around 600 kcal for every 1 hour session you do in a day and then a further 1000 kcal for other activities including eating, walking, work etc. The BMR is around 1600-2000 kcal/day for males and around 1300-1600 kcal/day for females. Of course you can check whether you are in balance by weighing yourself regularly (say every 2-3 days in the first instance and then weekly thereafter). The guidelines below provide some simple ideas, using Nutrition X products, to help you reach your goal.
What should you do?
- Ensure you have an appropriate training programme in place in consultation with trained professionals and medical advice.
- Make sure you eat 6 meals/snacks per day.
- Be wary of any high GI carbohydrate foods at night to ensure no unnecessary fat gain.
- Increase your protein intake to around 2-3g per kg of body mass per day
- ALWAYS take a Protein drink before a training session i.e. Pro X Elite.
- Pro X Elite as mid-morning snack IF needed.
- Normal lunch with a sensible mix of proteins, carbohydrates and fats OR (if busy) Mass X Elite as a meal replacement
- Pro X Elite as a mid-afternoon snack IF needed.
- Hypnos just before bed IF heavy training day.
- Consider taking Cell X Elite IF going for power/strength/speed.
What should you eat per day to maintain weight?
- 200-350g of Carbohydrates – achieved by eating porridge/muesli at breakfast, reducing portions of bread/potatoes/rice/pasta at all times and replacing with vegetables/salad and some fruit.
- 200-300 g Protein – 600g of meat/fish will give you 150g protein, milk and eggs are also a good source of protein (you could also get at least 100g from Nutrition X protein shakes).
- 80 – 100g Fat – from fish, nuts, cheese, red meat
- 2-4 litres of water. Larger athletes to get 3-4 litres; smaller 2-3litres.
SAMPLE DAY – normal use of supplements
|Meal||Food / Supplements|
|Breakfast||Porridge/muesli, 2 eggs with 1-2 slices wholegrain toast, yoghurt + fruit. Apple juice.|
|Mid Morning||Pro X Elite or Snack|
|Lunch||Chicken/tuna + salad OR Chicken curry + quinoa/rice + vegetables OR filled sandwich on wholegrain bread OR filled baked potato OR Mass X Elite|
|Mid-afternoon||Pro X Elite or Snack|
|Dinner||Soup, steak + baked potato wedge + salad or vegetables OR lamb/pork kebabs + wholemeal pitta + salad.|